The Wymore Arbor State is a weekly newspaper in Wymore, Nebraska. We publish every Wednesday and offer both Postal Service and Email subscriptions.
Who We Are
The Wymore Arbor State was the first full-sized offset newspaper in the state of Nebraska. The Arbor State has a long line of ancestors that were instrumental in helping develop the community.
In 1879 Charles M. Murdock established a newspaper in Blue Springs, The Reporter, largely a real estate advertising circular. In June of 1881 he moved the printing establishment to Wymore and renamed it the Wymore Reporter. This was the first newspaper in Wymore.
In May of 1881, Joseph Dodds, a Civil War veteran moved from Burlington, Iowa, to Wymore and erected a two-story brick building on the corner of Nebraska Street and Blue River Avenue. This was directly south of the Touzalin Hotel. On May 12, 1882, Dodds produced the first issue of the Wymore Eagle. That same year he purchased the Gage County Leader from Ashby and Scott. This was a newspaper that was founded shortly after Murdock moved the Reported to Wymore. Dodds then merged both papers into the Democrat. Before his death he ceased publication of the Democrat and began the Arbor State.
Another newspaperman, John A. Weaver came to Wymore from Red Oak, Iowa in 1882 and with J. M. Burnham established The Wymorean. Weaver withdrew shortly afterwards and Burnham continued to publish the paper until his death on March 30, 1929. The paper was published by his sone Earl, until 1934, when it was sold to C.L. Peckman who combined it with the Blue Springs Bee. Later it moved to Wymore and combined with the Arbor State in 1946.
J.W. Ellingham succeeded Dodds as publisher of the Arbor State in 1907, and in 1919 he sold the paper to Mr. and Mrs. Lou Hohensee. In 1920 a half interest was sold to Walt Cook and in 1922 Cook sold his half to Oscar Green. In 1925 the Hohensees purchased Green's interest in the paper.
The Hohensees published the Arbor State until 1937 when they sold it to Albert Higgins of Linn, Kansas. Only six months later he sold a half interest to J. M. Crane of Clifton, Kansas. Crane purchased Higgins' interest and published the paper until Sept. 5, 1941, when it was sold to Earl A. Funk of Golden, Colorado.
Funk continued publication of the Arbor State until 1957 when he sold out to Robert Morris. Morris converted the newspaper from letterpress to offset. He died in 1968 and the plant was sold to News Publishing Company, George Peterson Loup City, Nebraska. He served as editor until 1971 when Sid Charf moved from Neligh, Nebraska to assume the post as managing editor.
Charf was managing editor for 12 years before selling the paper to Mike and Beth Chaplin of Blue Springs. Both were graduates of Southern High School. Later on the paper sold to Keith and Doris Clarkson of Laurel.
On January 1, 2000 the Clarkson's sold the publication to McBattas Publishing Co. of Fairbury. McBattas owned the Fairbury Journal News in Jefferson County. Ross Wortman was kept on as editor of the newspaper.
Dale Crawford took over as managing editor in March of 2003. Crawford had previously been owner/publisher of the Hi-Line Enterprise in Curtis, Nebraska. He bought the newspaper from McBattas Publishing in August of 2005.